Summer’s still in full swing, but that doesn’t mean we can’t look ahead to awards season because the 2022 Emmy Award nominations were just announced today! Of course, we were rooting for all of our Netflix favorites to be recognized, and the streamer walked away with so many nods. Julia Garner earned a double nomination for her leading role in Inventing Anna and her supporting role in Ozark, while Squid Game made Emmys history as the first-ever non-English language series to be nominated.
There’s a lot to celebrate today as a Netflix fan, but if you were hoping Stranger Things would be recognized for its amazing acting in season 4, you might be feeling a bit disappointed. Although the Netflix Original did earn an impressive nomination for Outstanding Drama Series, along with a handful of other noms, the entire cast was snubbed. Can you believe it?
Sadie Sink, Millie Bobby Brown snubbed at 2022 Emmys
Many Stranger Things fans are in disbelief that neither Millie Bobby Brown nor Sadie Sink, specifically, received Emmy noms this year. Especially after Sink gave a performance of a lifetime as Max Mayfield in the season 4 episode “Dear Billy.” As for Brown, she continues to impress us season after season and blew us away as Eleven in season 4. Plus, Brown had already been nominated for two Emmy Awards for her now-iconic Stranger Things role in the past. Why not now?!
As for other cast members, David Harbour, who plays Jim Hopper, has also been nominated for two Emmys in the past, but not this time. Winona Ryder has been famously snubbed by the Emmys for her performance as Joyce Byers in Stranger Things, and the same can be said for this year’s ceremony.
It’s very important to note, however, that only Stranger Things season 4 volume 1 is eligible for this year’s Emmys. Volume 2, which was released on July 1, missed the May 31 Emmys cut off, meaning volume 2 will be considered for the 2023 Emmys. It’s entirely possible that the acting nominations for season 4 will come next year. Here’s to hoping!
Stranger Things 2022 Emmy nominations
Though the Stranger Things cast was snubbed at the Emmys this year, the Netflix series did earn a whopping 13 nominations. These include:
- Outstanding Drama Series
- Outstanding Production Design for a Narrative Period or Fantasy Program (One Hour or More) – “Chapter Seven: The Massacre at Hawkins Lab”
- Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series
- Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing for a Drama Series – “Chapter Four: Dear Billy”
- Outstanding Period And/Or Character Hairstyling – “Chapter Seven: The Massacre at Hawkins Lab”
- Outstanding Period And/Or Character Makeup (Non-Prosthetic) – “Chapter Two: Vecna’s Curse”
- Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup – “Chapter Four: Dear Billy”
- Outstanding Music Supervision – “Chapter Four: Dear Billy”
- Outstanding Sound Editing for a Comedy or Drama Series (One Hour) – “Chapter Seven: The Massacre at Hawkins Lab”
- Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series (One Hour) – “Chapter Seven: The Massacre at Hawkins Lab”
- Outstanding Special or Visual Effects in a Season or Movie
- Outstanding Stunt Coordination for a Drama Series, Limited or Anthology Series or Movie
- Outstanding Stunt Performance – “Chapter Four: Dear Billy”
All nine episodes of Stranger Things season 4 are now streaming on Netflix. Stranger Things season 5 is in the works.
Which Stranger Things 2022 Emmys snub are you most surprised about? Let us know in the comments!