A new season of Virgin River is streaming now on Netflix and if you’ve made it to this particular piece, we’re going to take a wild guess that you’re watching Virgin River season 4, episode 3!
In the episode, Hope decides to take to the kitchen to do a bit of baking as a means to distract herself. The only problem is that she can’t seem to remember the recipe for the cookies she’s looking to make, despite having made the cookies for years.
While the moment is used to showcase the repercussions of Hope’s accident from season 3 and the struggle she’s having with her memory, we have to admit our curiosity was piqued when Hope dropped the name of the cookies she was attempting to make.
Instead of a basic chocolate chip or sugar cookie, Hope is set on making hermit cookies but what exactly are these peculiarly named cookies?
What are hermit cookies?
A hermit cookie is a spiced cookie that is said to be similar in taste to that of a gingerbread cookie and actually shares similar key ingredients including cinnamon and nutmeg, a key difference being the addition of dried fruit and nuts.
The exact origin of the cookie’s name is unknown, but one that we do know is the cookie’s ability to keep for longer periods of time made it a favorite in pre-refrigeration days. In fact, that’s why some believe they’re named hermit cookies — because they’re perfect for those living in solitude.
Hermit cookie recipe
Now that you know what hermit cookies are, the natural next step is to make up a batch at home to enjoy, right? After all, is there any better snack to accompany a Netflix binge than some freshly baked cookies?!
There are a lot of recipes for hermit cookies available on the internet including some for hermit cookie bars, so you might try checking out different food outlets to find a recipe that fits your need. However, if you’re ready to break out your apron and get baking now, below we share a recipe for hermit cookies courtesy mashed:
1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ¾ cups flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped dates
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine the unsalted butter and brown sugar in a mixing bowl, beating until smooth.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract to the butter, beating until combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg to the egg mixture, beating until combined.
- Add the raisins, chopped dates, and walnuts to the cookie dough, and stir until combined.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the batter into your hands and roll into a ball. Place cookie onto the baking sheet. Repeat until all of the dough has been formed into cookies.
- Bake cookies for 15 minutes, then let them cool before serving.
If you need us, we’ll be baking up some hermit cookies to enjoy as we binge Virgin River season 4 on Netflix!